GPW and WBN Members Discussion Forum
Please note, only members using their Green Party registered name will be accepted at this time, if you wish to use an alternative name for the forum, please email membership@greenpartywomen.org.uk to inform us of who you are and the user name you wish to register with.

Support the 'Back off' campaign for women's abortion rights.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Support the 'Back off' campaign for women's abortion rights.

Post  Admin on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Hello all,

We would like to discuss and suggest, that Green Party Women join this campaign and work together, to promote the campaign information in any way we can?

What do members think?

http://back-off.org/our-supporters/

Admin
Admin

http://wbngpwmembersforum.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Campaigning for the wrong thing

Post  Karpind on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 am

Back Off want to persuade the government to pass a law to create a bubble or "buffer zone" around the abortion clinics.  This is an unnecessarily long and tortuous route to a solution, when something can be done right now, without any new laws.  Action, not virtue-signalling is required.  Today.  Now.  

In fact, I think the Green Party would be better at this than BPAS! bounce

The Home Office have already replied to BPAS and other concerned groups, that demonstrations outside abortion clinics are an operational matter for the police, not a policy matter.  The Home Office is right because the police have the powers to create buffer zones, amongst other things.  

A Static Demonstration is an "Assembly".  Under the Public Order Acts the police can impose conditions on an assembly in relation to the following:

The location of the assembly
   The maximum number of people who are able to participate in the assembly
   The maximum length of duration of the assembly.

The Public Order Act provides that these conditions can only be imposed if the most senior police officer at the scene reasonably believes that:

The conditions are necessary to prevent serious public disorder,
serious damage to property
or serious disruption to the life of the community,
or the purpose of the person organizing the assembly is to intimidate others.

Rather than lobby for a new law (which takes time to get on the statute books, but doesn't require much time or effort on the part of those who sign up as supporters), local activists would have more impact by lobbying and holding the Police and Crime Commissioner to account for inaction, neglect and dereliction of duty.  For instance, has BPAS considered litigation, on behalf of one of the women, and suing the Chief Constable/Commissioner?

To be fair to the police, when they have arrested anti-abortion protesters for various offences (affray, conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace etc, offences in relation to placards etc), the courts have thrown out the cases.  

If BPAS's sole purpose is to press for an unnecessary law, then I don't see the point.  If, however, BPAS are working locally and vocally with the PCC and Senior Police Officers - to get laws enforced, abortion clinic by abortion clinic, up and down the country - then I'd say "Yes".    

Sorry for the long-windedness.

PS If, I've got it wrong and BPAS are actually problem-solving locally and lobbying the police rather than government, then I might be persuaded that we can back up Back Off

Last edited by Karpind on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

Karpind

Back to top Go down

Working Together

Post  SabrinaPoole on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:57 pm

What we need to bear in mind is that campaigns where organisations work together, whilst not necessarily perfect, have more clout and potential than many individual campaigns that differ slightly. So whilst I do understand your point of view, I think it's worth supporting any big organisation that has the same goals as us.

SabrinaPoole

Back to top Go down

Agree with Sabrina

Post  Karpind on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:37 pm

You're right, Sabrina. Symbolic gestures and solidarity are important. From the inside, we may be in a position to influence BPAS towards a more effective strategy (ie lobbying Police and Crime Commissioners in the provinces, or the Mayor of London in the capital, wherever women are being intimidated by extremists).

Karpind

Back to top Go down

Re: Support the 'Back off' campaign for women's abortion rights.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top